Ironic Thai Hipster Music Experiment, Conclusion

4TH PLACE

Girl Talk - In Step


33 Likes, 28 Dislikes (54% success rate)

WHY DID YOU LIKE IT?
-Fun and very happy
-Melodious
-Beautiful of lyric
-Good song for relaxing
-This song is funny for dance
-I like because the music have spirit
-Good drums sound

WHY DID YOU DISLIKE IT?
-Bad melody
-So fast melody
-The sound is not smooth
-Not impress
-Difficult to understand
-Hate melody
-I dont like its no good
-I don't know but I don't like it
-I don't like techno song
-Crazy song...noisy
-Too much sounds
-Boring
-Lack of matching moods with rhythm [this one is my favorite. In the world. A+]


3RD PLACE

M.I.A. - Sunshowers


36 Liked, 26 Disliked (58% success rate)

WHY DID YOU LIKE THIS SONG?
-Good beat
-Very fun rhythm
-Sound like "Tokyo Drift"
-Song's rhythm make my heart to fresh
-Listen like the poem
-It so good
-Vocal voice very much!
-More funny and happy
-I like Affarica culture's song
-I like rapper of the song
-I like a drum sound [I like this because it sounds like a snarky M.I.A. lyric]

WHY DID YOU DISLIKE THIS SONG?
-Too quick. Start quick but hook slowly.
-Don't understand.
-Don't like the lyrics
-It's hard to listening
-Annoy the rhythm
-No interesting
-Tribal music...too hot, not my style
-Too normal
-No comment

SILVER MEDAL [DISTANT SILVER]

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago


41 Likes, 16 Dislikes (72% success rate!)

WHY DID YOU LIKE THIS SONG?
-It's an easy listening
-This song is soft, smooth and relax
-Fun and happy music
-Sad and slow beat, but not much...a thoughtful one
-I like because it's softy [Note: I feel the same way about all of Sufjan's music]
-Violin and singer sound is good
-Good synth input

WHY DID YOU DISLIKE THIS SONG?
-Not fun
-Very boring
-Scary song...rhythm so weird
-Remove all hollow sounds away
-Rhythm is not smooth
-I don't like the fast music [Note: I include this because this student liked Girl Talka nd The Streets]
-I like hip-hop

And the Winner Is...

Conor Oberst and Gillian Welch - Lua (from Dark Was the Night)


52 Likes, 14 Dislikes (79% success rate)

WHY DID YOU LIKE THIS SONG?
-Good voice
-Made me thought about past memories (LOVE THIS ONE)
-Like a song of love
-I like country song
-Go slow and mood so romantic and chill!
-So sweet...I love it!
-Good emotion of song
-Chillout vocal
-Good beat
-The sound of guitar is very good
-Guitar sounds make me happy
-It has singer both man and woman so it's beautiful song
-Lady voice very good
-A little smell of Blues

WHY DID YOU DISLIKE IT?
-So romantic...slow
-I listen this song. I can sleep. Zzz.
-I don't like soft song
-Singer not match

*************************

So, there it is. My students love Bright Eyes and hate Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Turns out the "experimental" song they liked the most was probably the most conventional, which I suppose is not surprising.

Really why I wanted to share the results of this crazy little game I played was not to make fun of the students' English skills but to praise them. (I come not to praise Caesar...except the opposite).

For most of these students this is their second language, and one thhat they are not even necessarily very interested in...I have many animation majors, engineers, etc., who likely will never use English again after college. And yet how many times up there did a comment so precisely and ingeniously capture a majoritarian critical opinion? And with such poetry, sometimes, too! For those who like Girl Talk, you undoubtedly love the "spirit" of the mix, and "fun" is a word that always comes up when talking about mash-ups; for those that dislike Girl Talk, "lack of matching moods with rhythm" is one very valid criticism, and "the sound is not smooth" (i.e. Girl Talk is not a talented beat-matcher) is another. None of my students ceased upon the disposability and novelty of mashup artists, but what do you expect? I think they did a wonderful job, and I was consistently shocked at how spot-on some of their responses were. So, so endearing.

Class dismissed.

1 comments:

Charlie said...

This is awesome.

Post a Comment