YOUR CITY'S A SUCKER

One of the great things about Chiang Mai (and Thailand in general) is the ability to eat five meals in one day, throw it all up on the side of the road, and not feel bad about yourself for wasting money, because chances are you didn't spend more than four dollars on the barf you just dropped on the stoop of a Thai glamour shot shop.

YOUR CITY'S A SUCKER

At around 10:30 A.M., I had twenty baht worth of fried bananas, which is approximately 37 fried bananas. For lunch, at about 2, I had steak fried rice along with two jumbo-sized chicken kabobs. Then it was dinner time, and so I had chicken-stew on rice, and then Ramen noodle stir fry with grilled chicken, and then garlic roast pork with rice and sweet and sour sauce. Was it delicious? Yes.

And hey, I was thinking about the Thai word "a-roi" yesterday (just typed it "a'roi," who I believe is a lineman for the Packers). A-roi means delicious, LITERALLY, and it's a high compliment to pay to a chef/waitress. If you tell your cook or server that your meal was "a-roi," you are not whistling out your pores, mister: you really mean that it was damn good, and if you're lying, you will probably be reincarnated as a turtle, or, worse, a person with tan skin. It's serious, man.

YOUR CITY'S A SUCKER

And yet whenever chefs or waitresses ask me "Aroi mai?" ("Was it delicious?"), I ALWAYS say yes, it was delicious, even if it was just average (which is delicious, true--but what is the a-roi standard? If all of the food in a country is delicious, are you supposed to tell every chef that your food was "a-roi"? Or only the for the meals that make you want to rip off your skin and lick your bones dry? This is something I think about a lot, but then again I've been off my medicine for months now).

CITY'S A SUCKER

I want to make a big list of words in Thai that are the same as they are in English, but that sound hilarious when you say them with Thai accents. Here is a start:

Suh-TEW = stew
hahm-bur-GER = Hamburger
com-pu-TER = computer
cheeah-lee-DER = cheerleader (I learned this from the Thai version of "Heroes")
ma-ga-roh-NEE = maccaroni
suh-pah-get-TEE = spaghetti
san-wit = sandwich
pock chahp = pork chop
wee-ZAH = visa (and, uh, probably "Weezer")
suh-tuh-raw-ber-REE = strawberry
bah-loo-ber-REE = blueberry
sun-DAY = sundae

I'll add more when I'm dead.

...city's a creep.

1 comments:

Ronjon said...

If you say beer can with a jamaican accent it sounds a lot like bacon.

Post a Comment