Halloween in Thailand

My mom asked me the other day if spending my favorite holiday away from America for the first time would make me more homesick than usual; I didn't think so, but this was before I was a big white toga-wearing nipple-showing spectacle of a Farang hulking around the clubs of Chiang Mai.

Someone missed a memo here. The Thais, they KNOW it's Halloween, but they weren't dressing up; and me, I probably should have gone with something more...conservative? I don't know. The bed sheet gyro is cheap to pull off, and I found some leaves outside my apartment building that made a perfect laurel headpiece, and so I decided to go with it. When my Thai friend Van came to pick me up to go to a party at his friend's house, he saw me and said "What the fuck?!" and then said "You sure you want to go like that?"

This after riding the elevator with five snickering old Thai ladies.

Well, based on the elevator reaction, I didn't want to push my luck so I went to the Farang Halloween party, where I, um, fit in more. I rode on a motorbike with my friend Charles, who was dressed as a cowboy, and, with him in his cowboy hat and tight jeans, and me wearing a revealing toga, we were, for five glorious minutes, the two gayest-looking men in Thailand.

When we left the Farang house party and went out to greet and treat the unsuspecting populace, it was one "Look at the Farang!" after another. One drunk guy just came up to me, patted me on the shoulder, gave me a thumbs up, and then walked away. Two girls asked me if they could put makeup on me. Sure, why not. I woke up this morning with two black crosses on my cheeks and eyeliner and mascara. This may or may not have been related to the two girls putting makeup on me. Who really knows.

Overall though, if you are wondering, "Do Thai people dress up for Halloween?" or "If I am a tall fat Farang living in Thailand, should I dress up for Halloween?" I would say that the answer is No, unless you like to be pointed and generally gawked at.

Which I do, of course, because I'm a raging egoist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment