I'm about to make an expensive mistake.

In re: Skateboarding around Chiang Mai:

My tolerance for being sweaty whenever I end up at a destination has reached its "tipping point," as Malcolm Gladwell would have it.

(Brief interlude, if you'll allow me to namedrop: at the Princeton Creative Writing Dinner/Bacchanalia last year, Eugenides asked us for an author that we saw a lot of Princeton students read and knew, something literary or intellectual and contemporary that most students still read. I offered up Malcolm Gladwell, as I saw a lot of people with Tipping Point and Blink, and his new book (something about genius, I think) had just come out.

Eugenides looked at me like I had just farted in his mouth. He said "Really?" and then just kept on shaking his head slowly, looking down at the table. I've often considered that perhaps the correct answer to that question was "Jeffrey Eugenides," but in all honesty Gladwell is still the first name that comes to mind for me. Anyway, moral of the story: Jeffrey Eugenides hates Malcolm Gladwell and his tipping point pop-psychology bullshit).

Uh. So I don't want to skateboard anymore. I was walking around Thaphae Gate area last night and saw an absolutely SICK motorcycle for sale. It's 20 years old, and it's a beast. Only 10,000 Baht, could probably talk it down to at least 9. Only problem is, I can't drive a manual and this is a manual.

But, you know, I have the money for it, and I came to Thailand to try new things. And I guarantee I will NEVER drive a cooler vehicle than this thing ever again. And if I pass it up I will just kick myself for the next five months for being such a wuss and not learning how to drive manual...bleh, I don't know. My boy Ohm's got an APB out for a cheap automatic motorbike (probably in the 8ish range), and if he doesn't come through big time, I think I am going to make an expensive mistake.

Let's call it the present I am buying myself for my soon-to-be premier in published media, a column in the venerable and venerated pages of the Princeton Alumni Weekly. Will update as payment/injuries commence.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

i personally find it staggering you lasted this long without a bike. they are so much fun to drive around & nearly die on. despite the fact that i have no idea how hard it is to drive a manual, i am 100% sure this is a good decision.

Ronjon said...

I'm not entirely sure, so dont quote me. But I think you get a year's supply of TAG body spray and muscle milk with each purchase of a motorcycle. Slay those women, mr.

Post a Comment